- Do you keep nail polish on your fingers and toes year round?
- What are your go-to colors for the fingers and toes?
- Any tips for strengthening your nails?
- Do you have any nail 'rules' you abide by? (things like toe and finger colors must match, should never be the same, trim them all if one breaks, I dunno...)
My great-grandmother told me that hands tell a woman's story and as such they should always dazzle. Fast forward to me today with chipped nail polish, ground down stubs of nails, and shredded cuticles. The only way to avoid this is to go to the salon every week to have them done, because for some reason I lack the gene to put on nail polish. Problem is: I HATE WAITING FOR THEM TO DRY. It is like seriously pulling out teeth to get me in there to have them done.
So short answer: no.
When I do manage to drag myself into the salon to get them done I either opt for deep purple or off kilter colors. Call me crazy, but natural light pink does not do it for me. I mean we all know it is fake anyway - so why not have some fun with it?
That is why my new obsession is Minx nails. You can literally have any pattern, shade, or tint under the sun. No subtle mistakes here that only you can notice and drive you a bit mad. Just pure perfection, but it has it's price just like everything else and you guessed it is a high one. Bliss charges $55 for the Minx Manicure, but you can find other locations using Minx's website. Oh and even better? You can order all sorts of different patterns off of the website.
I break mine none stop (stress), but what keeps them coming back for me is vitamin supplements. Seriously, selenium is your best friend. Whole Foods actually has a supplement to help stimulate nail and hair growth too!
Rules I live by:
- No fake nails on toes: Just imagining accidentally breaking one off makes me want to kill myself.
- No gels/acrylic/tips on hands: these never look good - maybe calgel is the exception to the rule. You always have enough time to make your hands look decent just give yourself two weeks before the big event!
- Always wear polish to special events: I just feel it is part of the whole package of getting ready for a special occasion.
- If you are going wear nail art: Go all out! It is obviously fake, but there is something charming about it when it is slightly insane looking.
If a special occasion is coming up I tend to go bi weekly to get my hands into shape for the big day. If not, then whenever the desire hits me really. Weekly if I am in one of my must have nice hands periods. More often than not tho, these piggies remain unvarnished.
What are your nails does and don'ts? Leave them in the comments!