Search

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reading Rainbow: Elsa Schiaparelli + Lady Gaga

I was talking to a friend the other day about Lady Gaga and made a comparison to Elsa Schiaparelli. She stared at me blankly when I said she out gaga-ed GaGa.
Take this shoe hat for instance which is pretty bad ass to wear back in the day when compared to Lady Gaga's telephone hat of today.

Getting back to to the discussion at hand with my friend, I am sad to say she had no idea who in the hell I was talking about. She asked me to tell her more about Schiaparelli, but I was at a loss as I knew very little about her outside her amazing designs.

It was then that I was hit with a jolt of inspiration: why not blog about it? At first, I was going to do a post cribbed from wiki entries but how trite would that be when talking about a woman who worked with Dada?

Instead, I decided to read her autobiography in her own words and blog about it in a month. I plan to take this a bit further in the future and make reading the great designers in their own words a regular feature on the blog. Think of it like this - Reading Rainbow: Chotto Coquette style.

If you would like to read along and comment I am picking up Shocking Life by Elsa Schiaparelli tomorrow.

Any other designers you would like to see featured? Leave it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment