Search

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fashion Inspirations: Jem and the Holograms

Today is an outfit post to end them all. I was looking for inspiration pretty much everywhere to find something extra special, since I am having trouble finding time to post on a regular basis. Then while cruising polyvore it hit me: Jem!

I loved Jem so much when I was younger and I still even remember the theme song! I swear that show is probably responsible for the more way out there elements in my wardrobe today. Below is my modern take on a Jem outift - I hope you don't find it truly outrageous! ;)


Original


Modern Day



1. Ban.do - fancy flower power ($350.00): This headpiece is to die for and even though there are exact duplicate of the hairpiece featured - I just think this is a more modern and luxe way to pull off the look.

2. Garland - Diamond Star Stud Earrings ($1,920): Granted they are not red stars as Jem wears, but they are pretty close. Plus, at this price tag you need high rewear value to justify the purchase!

3. Gemma Redux - Mixed Chain Necklace ($398): Pearls for me are so 80s in a bad way, and so I kept the look modern with this mutli colored chain necklace. I think its a great update on the traditional long pearl wrap too!

4. ASOS - Mesh Waterfall Babydoll Dress (US Sizes: 4-16; $64.25): I looked high and low for a dress that even came close to the one featured in the shot above. I was about to give up - that is until I cam across this dress.

5. Christian Louboutin Fred Flats ($565): I decided to change it up from the featured flats to these, because you know what I'm sure Jem would approve!

6. We Love Colors Lilac Tights (Sizes XS-3X; $15.00): What more can I say? I tried to match the shade as closely as I could, and the good people at We Love Colors obliged as usual.

7. Proenza Schouler - Silk Mini Bag ($1,165): I saw this bag in Elle and I knew it was perfect for the Jem outfit homage. Its funky without being overpowering, and it definitely complements the look.

I might make this a regular feature based on characters/icons that have influenced my style in the future. Well, that is if I ever find more time to blog on a consistent basis!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your selections here. Jem rules. I still want to find the original doll in the box for my home office (where I display 80's toys I had as a kid)

    ReplyDelete